UW1020 Exemptions

All entering freshmen are required to take UW1020, a four credit course. Students can take it in either the fall or the spring semester. Neither AP, IB, nor any other test will exempt a student from UW1020.

Transfer Students

Most freshman composition courses offered by other colleges will not satisfy UW1020. If you took a writing course at another institution but Admissions did not transfer it in as satisfying UW1020, compare the work you did in your previous writing course to UW1020, paying particular attention to the requirements. If you believe your previous course had similarly stringent requirements–-especially in regards to research and developing an original, scholarly thesis--then you may complete the exemption request form on the UWP website and provide the required documentation so UWP can determine whether or not you are eligible.

Applying for Exemption 

To apply for an exemption for UW1020, fill out the Exemption Request and include all additional materials:
  • A completed UWP Exemption Request Form

  • A written statement detailing the reasons behind your appeal.

  • A copy of the Statement of Transfer Credit from GW (provided by the Office of Admissions) or an Unofficial GW Transcript, which can be obtained from your academic advisor, the Registrar’s Office at Colonial Central, or Banweb.gwu.edu.

  • Syllabus from the course you are looking to have count as UW1020.

  • A research-based writing sample from the petitioned course, complete with a works-cited page or bibliography


No applications will be considered unless all of these documents are present.  Submit the form and all requested attachments in a single .pdf packet to gwuwp@gwu.edu.