UW 1020 Exemptions
Eligible students may apply for an exemption for a First Year Writing (UW 1020) course. This may include students who transfer to GW or complete college-level credit at another institution while enrolled at GW. Please carefully follow the exemption request instructions. Incomplete applications or requests submitted using a Transfer Credit Approval Form will be rejected.
Students who are looking to apply for an exemption for a WID course must complete the WID Exemption Request process.
How to Request a UW 1020 Exemption
Most first year composition courses offered by other colleges will not satisfy UW 1020. If you took a writing course at another institution but GW Undergraduate Admissions did not transfer it in as satisfying UW 1020, compare the work you did in your previous writing course to UW 1020, paying particular attention to the requirements. If you believe your previous course had similarly stringent requirements — especially in regards to research and developing an original, scholarly thesis — then you may submit an exemption request so that UWP can determine whether or not the course is eligible.
Be sure to include all materials in the following checklist order:
- A completed UWP Exemption Request Form (PDF), which will act as the cover page to your petition packet
- A written personal statement (generally not to exceed a single page) detailing the reasons behind your appeal. (In your statement, you must acknowledge your plans to enroll in and complete any outstanding GW degree requirements if your petition is denied.)
- A copy of your unofficial GW transcript or, if you are a transfer student, a copy of the Transfer Credit Worksheet available from the Transfer Credit Coordinator (CCAS).
- A copy of the syllabus that includes a calendar of assignments detailing how assignments are staged and prompted on the semester calendar.
- A research-based writing sample from the petitioned course, which must include a substantive bibliography/works cited page.
How to Submit Your UW 1020 Exemption Request
- Name your PDF packet "LASTNAME FIRSTNAME - UW 1020 Exemption Request”
- Submit the form and all requested attachments combined into a single PDF file to [email protected] with the subject line "LASTNAME FIRSTNAME - UW 1020 Exemption Request”