WID Exemptions

Please review the following requirements for WID credit before submitting an exemption request.

If you have taken a class for transfer credit at an institution other than GW that you think would qualify as a WID course, compare the work you did in that writing course to its equivalent at GW, paying particular attention to the requirements. Your chances of successfully petitioning for an exemption will be much higher if your transfer course had similarly stringent requirements, especially in regards to writing expectations.



WID Policies

  1. All students–-non-transfer and transfer alike–-must successfully complete two (2) WID courses. Most majors also have capstone requirements that are writing-intensive, and may or may not have the WID designation.
  2. No student may receive credit for a WID course that is taken before the student has either (a) successfully completed or (b) been officially exempted from UW1020.
  3. No student may receive WID credit for more than one course in a single semester.
  4. There are no automatic exemptions from WID.
  5. Transfer students or study abroad students who wish to have a writing-intensive course taken at another school count toward their WID requirement must apply for said credit through the UWP Exemption Process.
  6. No student will receive exemption from WID for a non-WID course taken at GW. There are no exceptions to this policy.
  7. Students may not take two WIDs over the summer (summer sessions 1 & 2) and have them count towards the WID requirements. Summer counts as one (1) semester, and students will receive credit for one WID course.
  8. All students should file an exemption request as soon as they have taken a course they would like WID credit for.
  9. For graduating seniors, all WID exemption requests must be received by the posted deadline for the semester prior to the semester in which the student is scheduled to graduate. Exemption requests filed later than this point will be rejected out-of-hand. For Spring and Summer graduates: November 15 of the previous Fall semester. For Fall graduates: March 15 of the previous Spring semester.

All approved exemption requests will receive written confirmation from the Director of WID.



Applying for an Exemption

To apply for an exemption for the WID course policy, fill out the Exemption Request Form and include all additional materials

  • A completed UWP Exemption Request Form, which will act as the cover page to your petition packet;
  • A written personal statement detailing the reasons behind your appeal. In your statement, you must acknowledge your plans to enroll in (and complete) any outstanding GW degree requirements, if your petition is denied;
  • A copy of your Unofficial GW Transcript or a copy of the Transfer Credit Worksheet (if you are a transfer student) 
  • ​A copy of the Syllabus that includes a Calendar of Assignments, detailing thow assignments are staged and prompted on the semester calendar
  • A research-based writing sample from the petitioned course, which must include a works-cited page (i.e. bibliography)

No applications will be considered unless all of the required documents are present.

Rename your .pdf packet "LASTNAME FIRSTNAME - UW Exemption Request/WID Exemption Request" (whichever is relevant)

Submit the form and all requested attachments combined into a single .pdf file to [email protected] with the subject line "LASTNAME FIRSTNAME - UW Exemption Request / WID Exemption Request"